Pediatric Tracheotomies: A 5-Year Experience in Duzce University Medical Faculty
MetadataShow full item record
Objective: Tracheotomy is one of the oldest surgical procedures. Pediatric tracheotomy indications have changed in recent decades. Currently, tracheotomy is performed because of prolonged intubation, upper airway obstruction, neuromuscular, and craniofacial anomalies instead of acute airway infections. This study aims to present our experience regarding indications and complications of tracheotomy in pediatric patients. Methods: We retrospectively evaluated 17 pediatric patients who underwent tracheotomy because of prolonged intubation, increased pulmonary secretions, and upper respiratory tract obstruction from June 2010 to June 2015. The patients' age, gender, tracheotomy indications, duration of intubation, complications, and actual clinical condition were recorded. Results: Tracheotomy was performed on 17 pediatric patients in our clinic. Discharged patients were followed with a 3-month routine check. Six patients (35.29%) had died because of a primary disease during follow-up, and one (5.88%) of them was a one-day-old newborn who had anomalies that were incompatible with life. In one patient, emergency tracheotomy was performed because of a tracheal trauma. None of the patients has been decannulated except one (5.88%). One (5.88%) patient had an accidental decannulation, while another had bleeding in the operation field. The total minor complication rate was 11.76%, and no major complication was observed. Two (11.76%) of the discharged patients underwent re-operation for widening of the tracheotomy stoma during their routine visit. Conclusion: Currently, tracheotomy in pediatric patients is mostly performed for prolonged intubation and upper respiratory tract obstruction for which intubation is not possible. Tracheotomy enables the discharge of these patients after training their families.