A comparison of genetic variations among native and some local chicken populations in Turkey
MetadataShow full item record
Genetic variations among native and local chicken populations in six different locations across Turkey were established using 15 ISSR primers, and produced 87 bright and reproducible bands. According to pairwise genetic differentiation among the populations (G(sr)), the highest genetic differentiation was determined between the Samsun and Yozgat population and the lowest was observed between the Dulkadirli and Budak populations. Shannon's index was calculated to be 0.239. The gene flow (Nm) among the populations was estimated to be 3.489. Analysis of Molecular Variance (AMOVA) identified 13% of the total genetic variation between the populations and the rest of the differences were 87% within the populations. Cluster analysis revealed two main branches, one leading to the domestic chicken population collected from Samsun in the Black Sea region of Turkey, the other branch clustered into two branches; one branch consisting of the Denizli Native Chicken population and the other one of domestic chicken populations sampled from Central Anatolia populations. The study is important to clarify the indigenous chicken genetic resources in Turkey. The results could be used for future breeding research conducted by either the public or private sectors.